Below is a quick checklist for you to run through to see if you’re playing small and thereby experiencing “ROT-itis”. Rot-itis is defined as a practiced state of engaging in Repeating Old Themes. This condition is a slowly, simmering one that can eat-away at the foundation of your life purpose and mission. Engaging is the key verb, because to engage means “attract and occupy the attention of”. It is a choice to engage in old patterns!
And it is always possible to start New. Below, I’ll share what my N-E-W acronym means.
But the first step to disengage is to “Spot the ROT”.
The interesting thing about “rot” is that it usually happens under the surface and is related to water seepage that goes undetected. This is a direct analogy for what happens to us, as human beings when we don’t pay attention and take care of our emotional health and well-being. After all, most of us have had little to no education about emotions and how to effectively manage them as a key part of our lives. As an element, water is most often associated with emotions – so it doesn’t take much of a leap to see the connection with undetected rot-itis and emotional seepage!
Once you spot the rot, the next steps flow with ease, like taking off a shoe that’s giving you a blister. You don’t have to keep wearing the shoe that doesn’t fit anymore, that rubbed you raw from too much repetition! You can take it off and put on a new shoe that you choose for lasting comfort.
Pay special attention if you find yourself saying, “If it was that easy, I would have already done it!” Well, the truth is, if you responded with that comment in your head, see #2 below.
Here’ is Checklist to help you “spot the ROT” (keep track of how many of these you identify with as going on in your life):
- You wake up in the morning and you want to stay in bed 10 minutes more.
- You find yourself saying the words, “I can’t because….”
- You procrastinate on taking care of your daily responsibilities (i.e. making the bed, doing the dishes, laundry or picking up after yourself, paying the bills etc.)
- You procrastinate on the BIG stuff – (i.e. taking action to pursue your important goals)
- You indulge in negative self-talk in any form – (i.e. I’m too tired, fat, poor, unintelligent.. )
- You make excuses for not doing things –(i.e. connecting with friends, taking up that new hobby you want to do, planning your activity for the next day, week, month or year.)
- You get caught up in old family stories
- You let yourself go- (i.e. get overweight, stop working out, stop looking your best)
- You hesitate to make connections with “movers and shakers”, thinking they are too busy to engage with you.
- You settle for less.
How many of these do you do?
Here is how to score yourself:
0-2: No problem, you’re just being human and we all have a few off days.
3-4: Caution, ROT may be setting in. Take action now!
5-6: ROT is taking hold. It’s time to call in the excavators.
7+: You’ve got a serious case of ROT-itis. It’s time to learn a new skill and clear it all out!
The good news is that no matter where you are on the scale, you can easily change this by choosing to get back in charge of your life, putting yourself first and reclaiming your innate power to create your life.
I call this process establishing a “New Now”. N-E-W stands for Nurturing Emotional Well-being. When you do this, it results in a powerful feeling of renewal, empowerment and life mastery!
Here is what it looks and feels like when you are living in the New Now:
- You wake up every day and are excited to get out of bed
- You are full of creative ideas and ideas to implement them, “I am able because….”
- You take care of your daily responsibilities with appreciation and gratitude
- You take action each day to pursue your important goals
- You encourage yourself by focusing on how good it feels to be making progress
- You find ways to do things that are important to you, and catch yourself quickly if you starting putting off the fun things in life
- You spot old family stories right away, and instead of engaging and energizing them, you smile on the inside (and out!) and are grateful that they no longer control you.
- You take care of yourself and you know that true beauty is an inside job.
- You reach out and feel worthy to make a connection with anyone including the “movers and shakers”, and you realize that you too are a change-maker
- You go for it!
So what’s the easy way to shift into creating a New Now, free of ROT?
First, let me say that in coaching people as long as I have (12+years), it can happen that I find myself in a rut and then I have to create a way to get out of it! These are big self-teaching opportunities that can become the springboard for great new ideas. That’s exactly how I created my new Triple Heart Technique that very easily moves stuck energy and emotion out of the body, mind and spirit and creates room for new things to blossom.
On Saturday, April 2nd, I’m doing a video interview with Lisa Winston as part of her ongoing online summit, Life Mastery After 40. When you tune in to our talk, you will be able to see exactly how this three step works and how easy it is!
If you’d like to go even deeper into understanding the power of this easy process and how it works, you can purchase my online webinar here.
Stay tuned for more on this new, easy technique or contact me for more information now!